Monday, June 30, 2014

The Summer July 4th Recipe.


          Happy U.S. Independence Day!

I am not a cook by any means but over the years when asked to bring a food dish to a friends or to a party these two recipes are my goto items.  Neither are particularly healthy however they are fun!

Frog Eye Salad:

I got this off the side of a pasta box and then have never been able to find the brand again.  This blogpost is being written for that reason.  I usually keep this recipe in an old Shredded wheat recipe box   I saved up UPC symbols for as a child and got in the mail.  I got to thinking however that if I were to become ill or something I want to have some of these important recipes written down somewhere other than in the place where I know it is.  In fact-it did take quite a bit of digging in that "I know where it is" place to find!  Here are two important recipes.

Frog Eye Salad:

8 oz uncooked Acine de Pepe pasta
8 oz vanilla yogurt
12 oz non-fat dairy whipped topping (I would rather use whipped cream but I just do not think it would hold up the same).
1/2 t cinnamon
11 oz can drained mandarin orange slices
20oz can pineable chunks (I prefer tidbits)
1 cup mini-marshmallows
1 cup red grapes sliced into halves.

Cook the pasta on the stove to just slightly al dente (follow the box directions).  Drain and set aside.
In a large bowl (I mean large).  Mix together the whipped cream, yogurt and cinnamon.  Add all of the remaining ingredients mixing well.  cover your bowl and put it into the refrigerator.  This can be made the day of your party but it works much better after a night in the fridge.

Grandmas Potato Salad (With Tina adjustments) This recipe is a bit harder to write as it is completely in my head and honed by practice.  I will attempt to write it down here but feel free to adjust proportions

Boil 6 medium-large sized white potatoes (only cook these until just done-or slightly firm)  We do not want them mushing apart while we attempt to cube them.
Boil 5 eggs. and allow to cool

In a large bowl (I mean large)  mix in 3/4-1 cup of mayo., 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper.  Set aside.

Chop up finely 1 shallot, 6 sweet pickles.
Chop the cooled and peeled eggs into pieces roughly the size of your little fingernail.

Using a paring knife slide off the now loose potato skins and discard them.
chop the potatoes into just smaller than 1 inch cubes (uniformity is not a goal though).

drop the pickles and shallots into the large bowl and mix,  Add the potatoes and eggs and mix again.  Test your salad.  Is it too dry?  start by adding 1/4 cup of pickle juice.  If it is still to dry start adjusting with serving spoon dollops of mayonnaise.  Finally taste for salt and pepper balance.  If it needs more add it and stir.  This can be served on the same day but also benefits from a night in the fridge.

I am about to make both of these on Wednesday to take to a friend/family July 4th celebration.  Let me know if you try one or the other of them and how they turn out.



Happy Independence day Everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment